Sunday, May 31, 2009

Music Reviews: Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Suckers, and The Horrors

The Tenure Itch by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart.

This song opens up and reminds me of early 90s brit pop mixed with the drum sound of new wave. This band has had a lot of talk surrounding them, and I must say I was one of the people really feeling them. Its not like I don't like this song, its just that i have heard it before. There isn't much new about this band, but they succeed in pulling off a well known sound that I personally enjoy. B

www.thepainsofbeingpureatheart.com

It Gets Your Body Moving by Suckers

At first listen this song does everything but get your body moving. The melancholy, drone sound doesnt really keep my attention that well, even though I do enjoy the fullness of the harmonies and use of orchestra. Just as I was about to turn this song off, because the repetition of not moving my body happens the melody changes and a whistler comes in and nicely builds up a break that takes you over the hump of this song. My advice is if you can get through the first minute and a half you will be rewarded with a nice sing along section you could proudly throw your beer up in the air and sway with the anthem. C

www.myspace.com/suckerstheband.

Sea Within A Sea by The Horrors

Automatically I like this song, because it has a fun upbeat tempo to keep me interested in what could possibly come up over the next 7 minutes of this track. The beat is taking me on a nice trip, but does tend to last a little too long without vocals. As the singer comes in and he sounds a bit like Ian Curtis, but not thats a bad thing in my opinion. The song then takes you down this path, that adds a bit of japanese feel to it, mixed with the weird sounds that remind me of animals crying out for help, similar to the background in Meat is Murder. This then leads to a psychedelic section that promised to bring you back to the song, with a tad bit of electronica driving the bus to the finish line. It does tend to get a bit boring, especially when its the same beat and vocals for the last few minutes. Overall its a good song, it at least has character to it. B+

www.thehorrors.co/uk

No comments:

Post a Comment